No doubt, for Indians, an Indian Keto Diet Plan is the most sought after dieting plan for obvious reasons. Across the internet one can search for various options and it is seen that 99% of the times we get a non-veg Keto diet option which is full of meats that we Indians don’t even eat. This makes us slightly unhappy and de-motivated. Keto Diet weight loss is in trend for a while, many celebrities are using this method to stay in shape and stay sharp.
Therefore, an Indian version if Keto diet becomes much important. Hence, this article would focus on Indian Keto Diet Plan and make your life easier. Afterall we all have some sort of developed tastes since childhood. Sure, we have? Correct me if I am wrong.
How does the keto diet help you lose weight?
Contrary to most diets and weight loss programs, a ketogenic diet is based on the principle of consuming less carbohydrates and more fat.
- The ketogenic diet requires you to eat fewer carbohydrates.
- The body thus enters a state of ketosis.
- Ketosis involves breaking down the fat stored in the liver in order to produce energy for the body.
- The fat stored in your body will be used and you will lose weight faster.
- When fats don’t settle in the body, you will become leaner and healthier.
- When you have less fat, your body is saved from various harmful diseases such as diabetes, coronary heart disease and cholesterol.
- This helps increase the quality of life and also gives you longevity.
- This may seem difficult at first, but we humans can adapt our bodies to changes in a very short time.
Changes required before beginning Indian Keto Diet Plan
If you have decided to try the ketogenic diet, you will certainly need some time to plan your meals. First, think about and find out the number of carbohydrates you eat each day.
Now decide how much you can cut them from each meal. Carbohydrates should not be more than 15% of the whole day’s diet. You should plan a diet such that each meal contains only 5% carbohydrates.
To begin with, try cutting down on traditional sources of carbohydrates.
- If you eat three chapattis (Indian Bread) for lunch, reduce it to two.
- Eat only one focaccia* for dinner.
- Green leafy vegetables, root vegetables and fruit contain many vitamins and minerals and provide much less calories to the body.
- They can easily supply the required amount of carbohydrates to your body every day.
- Additionally, they make you feel fuller faster and for longer periods of time.
- Avoid eating refined flour as it can adversely affect your gastrointestinal system and also contains a lot of calories.
- Avoid carbonated drinks, packaged juices and sodas as they contain a lot of sugar and will frustrate all your efforts.
Is Keto diet suitable for Indians?
Since Indian cuisine is high in carbohydrates, adapting to the keto diet can be a little challenging. However, our Indian food plan includes a variety of low-carbohydrate vegetables and flours and blends well with the keto diet plan.
Including white butter, paneer, gram flour, fish, chicken, local vegetables such as spinach, bottled squash, Indian round squash, aubergines and beets can prove to be extremely nutritious and also help you lose weight quickly along with the added benefits of checking your levels of insulin.
Advantages of indian Keto Diet Plan:
1. Since keto diets are low in carbohydrates but high in fat, they help kill hunger. This is the best part of this diet as hunger during your weight loss plan can demotivate you and often lead you to cheat.
2. The Keto diet has proven to be a very quick and effective way to lose weight from many proven studies including the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), which is part of the United States National Library of Medicine (NLM), a branch of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
3. Keto diets have been shown to lead to increased HDL, good cholesterol levels in the body. Since low carbohydrates tend to be high in fat, they often lead to healthy HDL in our blood levels.
4. Keto diets are also known to reduce insulin and blood sugar levels and are extremely useful for those suffering from Type 2 diabetes.
Disadvantages of Indian Keto Diet Plan:
1. Since the keto diet has few carbohydrates, it can often lead to constipation since the body does not have enough for mass training.
2. The biggest disadvantage of the keto diet is that you may end up losing muscle as the protein intake is moderate compared to the fats that are involved.
3. The initial weight loss in the keto diet is the weight of the water. When your body loses weight in water, it means that it is also losing electrolytes. This can often lead to leg cramps, which can be very painful.
4. Diarrhea is a serious setback that comes with the keto diet. This happens because there is a complete change in the diet and fat consumption is higher.
Quantity of food in Indian Keto Diet Plan
Now, following the Keto diet, the amount of food to eat is what is difficult! But with a little math here and there you can know how much you have to consume. The idea is to find the amount of calories you need to consume and the amount that should come from fats, carbohydrates and proteins. However, it is highly recommended that you consult a professional nutritionist and nutritionist to decide on the size of the service and what should be consumed during the Keto diet plan.
Indian Keto Diet plan for weight loss
The following plan is designed for Indians with a sedentary lifestyle. This plan provides about 1600 calories in total. Includes 20 g of carbohydrates with 80 calories, 74 g of protein with 296 calories and 136 g of fat with 1224 calories. You can add or decrease calories depending on the type of lifestyle you live and your personal needs.
To decrease calorie intake, you can simply use the portion control trick or just less a meal.
4 – Week Indian Keto Diet Plan Chart for Weight Loss
An adequate keto cycle works for 4 weeks. let’s see the Indian Keto Diet Plan week by week below:
You can toggle or choose from the options mentioned below for the whole week
- Cheese pakora (fried in peanut oil / coconut oil)
- Omelette with cheese and lots of cheese (cooked in olive oil and butter)
- Scrambled cheese with a lot of pepper (cooked in olive oil and butter)
- Simple salad (spinach, pepper, mushrooms, sauteed in olive oil and butter, sometimes with chicken, sometimes with eggs and sometimes only vegetables covered with a lot of cheese)
- Cream of palak with sauteed mushrooms / broccoli
- Solkadhi and baked green beans (whole) with cheese
- Curried cauliflower in coconut milk and coconut oil
- Baked spinach with cheese and cream
- Lemon Chicken Stew
- Pakora fried Paneer
- Sauteed lamb with spices of choice
- Coleslaw / Coleslaw with coconut (Kerala-style vegetables)
This week we present a special mixture of coconut oil, cream and butter. All you need to do is beat these 3 ingredients together and swallow them. I know it’s hard, but you will if you want to lose weight. If this seems like torture, mix it with your tea or coffee decoction.
Add any spice your tongue needs to accept this. Do not add sugar, you can use artificial sweeteners such as Stevia and nature without sugar. This mixture will help a lot to improve your fat loss. Let’s call this coffee mix as Bullet coffee.
- Bullet Coffee (coffee / tea mixed with coconut oil, cream and butter mixture)
- Fried Pakora with spices and paneer
- Red Channa Salad
- Lemon chicken
- Curry Soy Nugget
- Melindre sauteed with peanuts (Maharashtrian style)
- Sauteed french beans with cheese topping / cheese fondue
- Cauliflower cooked in coconut milk and coconut oil
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Chicken stew
- Cheese pakora
As the week progresses, the keto diet will become more difficult each day. Week 3 requires a fasting stage. So we will eat breakfast early, without lunch and after 12 hours of fasting, we will have a full dinner. This is called intermittent fasting. (Read more about intermittent fasting)
- Bullet Coffee
- Fast, just keep drinking water and unsweetened green tea / lemon water with pepper
- 6-8 soaked almonds every day during this week
- Chicken in pesto sauce with paneer and spinach leaves sauteed in olive oil
- Paneer Chilly
- Chicken barbecue with spinach and cheese salad
- Spinach omelette with lots of cheese
It is really getting very difficult now. This week you just have to eat dinner. while fasting for the whole day. Yes, you can drink green teas, lemon water (with salt and pepper), green teas (without sugar) and yes a lot, a lot of water. If fasting seems strictly difficult, you can return to week 2 and start following from there again.
- Black tea / lemon tea / peach tea (sugar free)
- Black coffee
- Green tea (without sugar)
- Lemon water (without sugar)
- A lot and a lot of water
- Green beans sauteed with coconut and peanuts
- Schezwan Chicken
- Spinach cooked in milk, cream and cheese
- Sauteed vegetables with spices and cream dressing
- Chicken stew
- Thai chicken
- Lemon chicken
- Sauteed paneer with spinach and pepper
- Almond flour crepes
I hope, by now you have understood the 4 week cycle of this Indian version of the ketogenic diet. You can follow this diet weekly. But, I would recommend that you consult some dietitian or a doctor before starting out. You may have some medical condition or allergies that you may want to discuss with your doctor first.
Also Read: Keto Diet Easy Recipes: Top 10 Keto Recipes
An Example of Indian Keto Diet Plan (Short)
- Paneer bhurji / cheese omelette with vegetables / egg bhurji with vegetables
- Spinach soup with mushrooms and a pinch of white butter
- Green vegetable salad with cheese / sauteed vegetable roll
10 Indian Keto Diet Plan Friendly Dishes
At this point, you are probably looking for recipes that spice up your home cooking, and although the diet is not ideal for all types of cuisine, Indian food is about to be your new option.
From seafood curry and tandoori to vegetable masalas, this list of keto recipes will show that the region offers complex flavors that keto eaters can dig directly, as long as you’re happy to say goodbye to that beloved NAAN.
1.) Coconut curry chicken drumsticks
This healthy coconut curry chicken is naturally low carb and gluten free, but don’t worry, that doesn’t mean it’s soft. When there is curry powder combined with other Indian-inspired spices, such as turmeric and cumin, it can only be delicious.
Then it is thickened with coconut milk and sweetened with honey and lemon so that it is in good hands. Leftovers will also move, and they may even know better after the meat is marinated in that bold sauce overnight.
2.) Butter Chicken
You’ll want to eat this creamy and buttery chicken straight from the pot with a spoon, thanks to the smell alone. Expect super tender chicken pieces mixed with tomatoes and your homemade yogurt marinade. Be sure to brown the ingredients on the stove before mixing them with your special curry sauce, especially onions for that caramelizing effect.
3.) Vegetable Masala
Marinating vegetables (low carb) in this spiced tomato puree offers you a tender and juicy dish that you can easily contain as a main course. It is substantial enough to fill it for lunch or to eat it with eggs for breakfast, you won’t even miss the beans.
4.) Egg curry
This is infallible. You will be boiling eggs and making a simple homemade sauce made from coconut oil, mustard seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, peppercorns, green peppers and a variety of spices.
Important advice: The dish has to do with its creamy texture, so you will want to keep the yolk slightly sticky and be careful not to boil it too much. Spicy food fans can increase heat based on the amount of curry leaves they dare to add.
5.) Butter Cheese
We can’t imagine a time when we don’t feel like fried cheese. This recipe is about frying paneer (cottage cheese) in turmeric, salt and red chili powder.
Then it is heated together with a sauce made of garlic, ginger paste, green chilies, onions and tomatoes, which shows that sometimes more is better when it comes to flavors.
6.) Cauliflower and kale soup
This hot soup comes together quickly, and your purchases will be minimal, since it is just a large bowl of all your basic pantry spices: cumin, coriander, paprika, ginger and cayenne.
We love cauliflower here, which adds a bit of texture and fills you. Kale also adds a nice green crunch, but be careful if you’ve had too many carbohydrates that day.
7.) Tandoori Fish Tikka
For a light and healthy meal during the week, opt for a tasty fish. You’ll want to marinate your fresh steak in tandoori masala, yogurt and salt and pepper for a few hours (overnight if you can).
For cooking, throw your fish in the oven or on the stove with a minimum of oil. Don’t worry about finding tandoori masala, you can easily hook it in big stores like Walmart, Target and Amazon.
8.) Tandoori Chicken with Mint Chutney
This is probably the best dish in the Indian Keto Diet plan, that you will love:
Chicken (boneless and cut) – 500 grams
Garlic and ginger paste – 1 tablespoon
Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon (hotter if desired)
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Coriander powder (washed and chopped) – 2 tablespoons
Cumin powder – 1 tablespoon
Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt and pepper: according to your tastes.
For the mint chutney
Peppermint leaves / pudding – 1 cup
Ginger (washed and peeled) – 1/2 inch piece
Coriander – 1/2 cup
Green chilies – 2-3
Fresh lime juice – 2 teaspoons
Water as needed
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt – according to your tastes
In a large bowl, mix the spices with olive oil and lemon juice. Spread this mixture completely over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. While preparing the chicken, add all of the chutney ingredients except the water in a blender. Mix until smooth; add water if necessary. Add salt according to your tastes.
Preheat the oven. And mix the marinated chicken for about 20-25 minutes, tossing it occasionally. Your tandoori chicken with mint chutney is ready!
9.) Chicken salad
Chicken (cut as you like) – 1 cup
Red pepper (chopped) – 1/2 cup
Green pepper (chopped) – 1/2 cup
Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Homemade salad or whole grain dressing – 4 tablespoons
Your favorite spice mix: 3 teaspoons or as needed
Salt – according to your tastes
In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the chopped peppers. Add chicken and fry until slightly crisp. Add your favorite spice and salt mix. Brown for a minute and transfer to a bowl. Add the dressing and you’re done! Another lovable Indian keto diet plan dish for you.
10.) Creamy salmon soup
Salmon (minced) – 450 grams
Chicken broth – 6 cups
Coconut milk – 1 3/4 cups
Young onions (finely chopped) – 4
White onions (finely chopped) – 1
Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
Garlic cloves (minced) – 4 cloves
Thyme (dry) – 1 tablespoon
Salt and pepper: according to your tastes.
Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped spring and white onions and fry for a minute. Add garlic cloves and cook until smooth. Pour in the broth and add the thyme. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Spice with salt and pepper. Add the minced salmon and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and simmer until salmon is tender. This soup is for immediate consumption. Serve hot and enjoy!
Side Effects of Indian Keto Diet Plan
Just like it’s foreign counterparts, Indian Keto diet plan comes with inherent side-effects mentioned below. Although these side effects don’t last long, still one must consider these before starting Indian keto Diet plan.
1 – Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
Reducing your carbohydrate intake while on a ketogenic diet causes temporary episodes of hypoglycemia.
2 – Constipation
Constipation and side effects of the ketogenic diet
This is one of the more general side effects of a low carbohydrate diet and also a function of excessive consumption of dairy products, nuts, dehydration and loss of salt.
3 – Keto Flu
Widely known as the most common side effects, it begins to show its impact shortly after starting the ketogenic diet. A runny nose, fatigue, headache, and nausea are common symptoms of keto flu.
4 – Reduced strength and physical performance
By opting for the ketogenic diet, your body adjusts to a whole new source. At this point, it is natural for you to feel very inefficient at exercising physical energy.
5 – Trouble sleeping
By opting for the ketogenic diet, HPA axis dysfunctions lead to sleep disturbances. Not sleeping well can be a sign of low insulin and serotonin levels.
6 – Frequent urination
If you are on a ketogenic diet, you will notice that you go to the bathroom more often to urinate. It’s because your body burns the extra glucose stored in your muscles and liver. And break if it releases a lot of water.
7 – Hair loss
We love those floating braids, right? And losing them can get us in big trouble! Following a ketogenic diet can lower one of the important human hormones: insulin.
8 – Diarrhea
If you choose to go on the ketogenic diet, you are likely eating a high-protein, low-carb, and high-fat diet, causing loose bowel symptoms.
9 – Muscle cramps
The Indian Keto Diet Plan can force you to deal with mineral loss, especially magnesium. With this, muscle cramps can usually be experienced multiple times.
Belly fat is a huge dilemma in everyone’s life today, regardless of age. Since our diet includes a lot of oil and junk food, the belly will definitely take up more space! Such a bloated belly can make you feel embarrassed anywhere and anytime.
21 tips to lose belly fat naturally fast combined with Indian Keto Diet Plan
What if we told you that you can lose weight fast the natural way? Here are 21 effective tricks to lose belly fat. Don’t wait any longer and check them all out now!
1- Follow a high protein diet
2- Avoid sugary foods
3- Reduce the intake of especially refined carbohydrates
4- Do some weight lifting exercises
5- Get enough sleep
6- Add apple cider vinegar to your diet
7- Have a cup of green tea
8- Eat foods rich in fiber
9- Get in the habit of controlling your food
10- Eat unprocessed whole foods (fish, eggs, poultry, meat, cottage cheese, olive oil, fish oil, banana, orange, flaxseed, spinach, kale, brown rice, pasta, etc.)
11- Limit your alcohol consumption
12- eat more protein
13- Try intermittent fasting (period between the feeding cycle and fasting)
14- Include probiotic foods in the diet
15- Avoid drinking fruit juices
16- Eat 2-3 servings of oily fish a week
17- Exercise and keep a record of it
18- Say NO to sugary drinks
19- Choose coconut oil instead of cooking fats
20- Reduce all stress levels
21- Have fun doing cardio or any aerobic exercise that you like
Well, the most important thing is to stay motivated. Staying motivated will help you get the shape you want with eyelid fighting.
Each body is unique in its own way, so the diet that works best for your friend may not work for you. To switch to a specific diet, analyze what your body needs and in what proportion. Finding out for yourself can be exhausting for you.
A keto diet is a low carb and high fat diet that is beneficial for those looking to lose weight and increase metabolic rate. This diet has become increasingly popular due to the rapid results it offers. In this diet, your carbohydrate intake should be less than fat intake. These fats are healthy fats that your body will use to convert them into energy and increase your metabolic rate and, consequently, increase your activity.
Ketones are produced from broken down fats in the liver. They help release energy, which the body would otherwise obtain from the glucose released by carbohydrate sources. When ketones are produced in the body, the body enters a state of ketosis, in which your body is completely fed by fat. When your metabolic rate increases, your body tends to burn fat more efficiently. And you reach your desirable weight in a fast time frame.
I hope these Indian dishes will help you find an answer for your search of Indian Keto diet Plan. Most of these dishes are already being eaten on regular basis in some parts of India. Hence, it should not be a problem finding them and having them and still not being kicked out of Keto diet. Indian Keto Diet plan is not that tough. Only advice is to keep things easy in your mind and focus on what you tend to achieve. Indian Keto Diet plan is just as easy or as tough as it’s foreign counterparts. All the best for your keto journey.